Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Sadie's Attitude-Mom

I just wanted to say that 90% of the time that I talk to Sadie she is positive and upbeat.  I am learning more from her blog than I knew so very informative for me also.  I know she has bad days but rarely does she share them with me unless she has tried everything-like with medical-and nothing is helping.

On the other side, I could be having the worst day in the world, but I would never let Sadie know that though I have had a couple of mental breakdowns where I just could not stop crying for a few days but that was more when she was first incarcerated.  I don't need to make her time worse.

As a mom with a daughter in prison, it is a daily challenge to not let it get the best of me and to live my life, but I cannot help but worry every day-not because of Sadie, but because of the lack of kindness and compassion of the prison system.  It breaks my heart to think that another human being has treated her less than human and there is nothing I can do.  I think that is the worst part-the helplessness that you cannot protect her.  If she has to do all of her time minus her good behavior (would be 17 years), I will be 80 years old.  I cannot even imagine doing this until I am 80.  I cannot imagine Sadie doing it.  But we will because that is the hand we were dealt and somehow you have to rise above it all and focus on being happy regardless.  Neither of us can let prison define our happiness.  My heart goes out to all the families who are dealing with this.  There has to be a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment