Saturday, January 7, 2017

Michelle's Story

My name is Michelle, currently known as Inmate Y57648.  I started writing a short summary about myself like how I am 28, was raised in a small town called Milford, PA and am the youngest of three girls.  I graduated from high school, was a cheerleader and was raised with morals and value in a loving home.  In the end I under appreciated everything by getting wrapped up in a world that, at one point, seemed impossible to stray from.

You see I thought I was invincible.  "It could never happen to me".  As a young adult I struggled with self-esteem issues, stubbornness, two extremely co-dependent relationships and being the product of divorced parents.  I thought I was in control.  Little did I know that the dysfunctional elements of my life would inevitably fuel me to become a statistic in the ever growing epidemic of prescription pills, which were never prescribed.

My story basically goes like this:  I was young and naïve.  I had no understanding of who Michelle was so I decided to become what everyone else wanted her to be while simultaneously being nothing at all.  I got introduced to pain killers and that was the beginning of the end.  Addiction is a vicious cycle; one that creates constant battles between my conscience and my desire to ignore and forget.  I ran from my problems, but even miles away in Florida, I was stuck within myself.  The rollercoaster life of addiction had me at many highs and lows.  During one of my lows I was witness to an armed burglary where two people got shot.  I was unarmed and unaware of the events that transpired.  I was found guilty and sentenced to 50 years.  Fortunately there were no deaths in my case; however many broken hearts.  It was a hard pill to swallow; yet one of the sad ugly truths is it took my addicting growing completely out of control, my life becoming a shit show and me getting arrested and life behind bars to realize who Michelle is and to appreciate the gift God gave me.

I don't want to mislead you.  I was crushed when reality set in and my freedom was taken away from me.  However, time is a funny thing and it gave me the opportunity to explore my past, present and future; my interests, dreams and goals.  Although, I became caged in, God set me free.  For the first time I was able to selflessly be selfish.  While focusing just on myself I realized that life isn't about materialistic things or superficial things.  I started to see a glimpse of who Michelle is.

Three years later, I feel guilt and remorse; not only for the circumstances behind my arrest but for the many mistakes and poor decisions I made throughout my life and the people I have hurt; including myself.  But it does not consume me .  I am not paralyzed by all the feelings I once used drugs to erase.  I  have learned that God created me to use these challenges, this specific opposition I've faced and to the many still to come for a purpose.  My relationship with God is just ONE of many blessings time has given me and my goal is to be a positive influence in the lives of many by using my experience and strength and hope with God's Word and understanding to provide others with a testimony of where life can take you and where you are actually meant to be. 

Today I refuse to allow my past to define my future.  With perseverance and God's Grace I have won my appeal and am waiting to be resentenced.  My hope is that God will provide me a second chance which allows me to fulfill the purpose He created me for: empowering and encouraging others to find themselves also.  If He has got me, He has got you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment