Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Jobs and Dreds

New rules:  removing inmates from their jobs if they have been in it for 6 months.  Really?  So, a long-timer or lifer would finish all jobs in less then 5 years.  Let's pretend that corrections is loosely based on rehabilitation-why would you remove someone from their job after 6 months because you are in fear of getting too familiar with staff?  We live here.  We spend all day with staff.  They are here for 12 hour shifts.  How could we not know them? 

The long-timers need jobs.  The staff is upset because once they find an inmate they have trained, who does their job well and is trustworthy they want to keep them, but no more.  What happened to teaching work ethics and job stability, staying in a job through ups and downs.  Now everyone is paranoid and will not care about their job knowing they will be moved in 6 months.  And trust me it will give the inmates more reason to do "dirt". 

The new colonel came in and removed the yoga mats (escape paraphernalia!), our movies and our exercise bands.   How ridiculous.  They focus on the wrong things.  I am so upset about this.  Remove all the things that make our day a little easier and what do we have left-nothing.  Shopping, smoking and fighting.  That's all they do-there is nothing else to focus on.  There are not enough jobs to go around (1500 inmates), no real job training except for HVAC and Cosmos (which is a joke).  This compound is baron of any kind of real rehabilitation.  Now it's ACT RIGHT or go to jail.  Long-timers don't care about going to jail-30 days is nothing.

So admin has decided that all the black girls need to cut off their dreds that they have had for years and some all of their lives.   Most of the women eventually complied . The last one standing-we call her J-Baby was put in confinement a few days ago.  Her dreds are part of her Rastafarian religion.  The "cell extraction team" was called in.  We heard over the radio "she's gettin' hit with the shield".  This is no exaggeration-6 male officers all suited up in what looked like riot gear with a shield and clippers went into her cell, forced her down and shaved off all her hair.  They came out all puffed up and proud.  I can't even believe this is legal.

I know that people on the outside don't care about what we go through-we deserve it right?  Unless you have been incarcerated or have a loved one incarcerated we are just ghosts-reality TV.  I pray that someday people will care and we will get the help and rehab that we so desperately need.  I am a very strong person so I do what I can on my own to grow spiritually, mentally and emotionally but most women in here need a lot of help to be able to transition back into society. 

Why is no one on the outside fighting for us?  Why does no one care?  Why is there no civilian group that comes in to make sure we get basic human living conditions and are treated with kindness and compassion.  What if it was your child?

Prison is hell-period.  It could be a place of human potential, personal growth and true rehabilitation.  We will almost all be your neighbor some day. 

Many women don't even deserve to be here-don't belong here.  Drug addiction and boyfriends changed their lives.  We need to give them hope.







2 comments:

  1. I get so upset at the things that go on there and wish I knew what to do to help. My daughter is there with you and the horrible things I hear and have seen while visiting make my blood boil. I pray every night for guidance and for all of your safety. It is hard being there but it is also hard being the person in the outside wishing you all were home. Praying the USA comes to understand the problems and works for all make the system from beginning to end !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz's Mom. I think all of us families need to come together and address congress. I am not sure how all of that works, but I am going to find out. The sentences are way too long and the prison environment way too harsh. If you have a story you want to tell, which I feel is very important, I can post it under Anonymous. We need to be heard. On my web page www.inmateslivesmatter.net I have my phone number and email address. You can send your story to me thru email or the mail. Please feel free to call me anytime-352-843-7998. We need to support each other. We do time with them and it is very stressful especially with the prison system the way it is.

    ReplyDelete