Thursday, March 2, 2017

Yazmin's Story and Game Month

This month is Game Month.  You can send a game to any of the facilities named at www.inmateslivesmatter.net  They always need them.

Hello, my name is Yazmin Garcia (H41984). I am 23 years old and I have been incarcerated since I was 17. I am currently serving a 16 year sentence. I was originally sentenced to 20 years but took it back to court and was re-sentenced by the Grace of God. It had been a true blessing for me.

I grew up in a good home. I had it all with a loving family. But I chose the ruthless lifestyle of the street when I was only 12 years old. At the time I was growing up in the ghetto of Polk County, Haines City, Florida. Later my family “up-graded” and moved to Auburndale, Florida, but I still continued to hang out with “Bad People”. I began partying, fighting and doing stuff I had no business doing. I was always into some kind of mess. Always in trouble which led me to be in and out of the system as a juvenile. I always got away with what I was doing and destroying until I was 17 years old. I got caught up in a home invasion and armed robbery gone wrong. It was my first, and of course, my last time. I thought I was that “gangster”, “badass”, “unstoppable Yasmin”. I thought I knew it all. 

Looking back I realize that my mother knew best and tried to save me from myself. I remember when I was 13 and I was about to earn my “flag” into a gang but my mother must have realized the danger was near to me because she found out and sent me to a strict relative in hopes that I would gain some sense and discipline in my life. I was close to taking a life: being involved in that gang but I see how God stepped in and kept me from all of that. I am so grateful.

Now I sit here and wish that I could take everything back, to start over. I use to think that drugs were cool and fun to do. I knew it was an easy way to escape my pain and struggle I hid inside. With everything going on in my home. I had family problems and I never had communication with my family. My parents never took the time to ask me, “how's school” or “how are you?”. They never said “I love you” or “I'm proud of you”. It was like living with robots; mechanically going through day to day. We never sat down to have conversations as a family and I use to yearn for that connection with them that I found easily in the “gang family”. At home I felt unimportant and pressured to do good and to do what I was told. It caused me to rebel and I decided to take on a “whatever” attitude and just do my own thing. “Whatever Yasmin Wanted”. I thought that would make up for the pain and loneliness that caused my emptiness inside-but I was wrong. The only medicine I need is God in my life.

In just a “blink of an eye” I lost everything. I lost my family and home. Now I am stuck doing time behind these gates and walls. I share a tiny space with a stranger and there is no privacy whatsoever. I am always being told what to do, what to eat and even when to sleep and more. I hate that I have lost all control of my life, but what I can control is how I do “my time for my crime” and I have chosen to grow in spite of this place. I have taken full responsibility for my mistakes. This was and is a hard lesson learned that I will never forget. Coming to prison has matured me to take life serious, to be a wonderful young woman and I am still growing for the better.

Now my family and I have an awesome connection and the rest of my family has made sure to be more affectionate and close to their children because I finally decided to open up about what put me in the mindset that lead me here. I pray that after you read this that you think about the choices you make because the wrong one can take your life in a moment. I would love to have another chance. I would have reached out to my family and opened up to my parents instead of reaching out to the streets and “friends” that seemed to love me and care about who I am.

If you are lost and lonely out there, please reach out to someone good, someone who won't touch you the ways of destruction. If your a troubled teen, reach out to your family and parents. They care even if they are caught up in life. Don't be afraid. You can do this. Avoid making the mistakes I made. If you're a parent and your child is acting out, stop telling them what to do and reach out to them with love instead. Find out what is troubling them inside-chances are they just want and need more of you and your love. Be supportive, interested and understanding. It will make all the difference. Show them you care, talk to them, spend time with them. It really is that simple.

1 comment:

  1. Yazman I wish every kid could read this letter. You should go to schools after you are released and talk from your heart to the kids . You may be able to change kids and get them on the right path. Talk to parents also , maybe this is your mission in life! Praying for you

    ReplyDelete