Friday, March 24, 2017

Update on Medical

Just an update on medical.  I have been advocating for Sadie's medical to go see a cardiologist.  The warden has been helpful but medical has not.  I have emailed the Director several times and finally they did a sonogram of her heart and she has a heart valve problem.  So, she has an irregular heart beat and a heart valve problem and the Director still told me that they could take care of it and that she would not necessarily be able to see a cardiologist.  I called BS.  She still has not seen a cardiologist but I am on it! 

If Sadie is having side effects, severe or otherwise, from the Coreg, then she needs to notify medical either via a sick call or a medical emergency, depending on the severity.  We cannot know there is something wrong, if she doesn't let us know.

As for the actual medication, she is on 3.125 mg twice daily.  I understand what you have read on the internet, but the internet doesn't know your daughter's specific case.  The provider who wrote her medications has actually seen and examined your daughter and read all of her medical history.

The request for the cardiologist is in, but as I have previously told you, I don't know whether that request will be honored as her symptoms are not showing severe enough to really warrant it at this time.  If they say yes to the cardiologist, then that will be a wonderful thing.  If they do not think she needs the cardiologist, then they will give a suggestion for an alternate treatment plan.  We will have to await that decision to know exactly what the next step in her care will be.


Have a great day,

K. Rebele, HSA
Lowell CI

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen Carlin [mailto:kjcarlin50@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:54 PM
To: Rebele, Katie <krebele@CenturionofFL.com>; julie.jones@fdc.myflorida.com
Cc: Hope.Gartman@fdc.myflorida.com; Brian.Riedl@fdc.myflorida.com
Subject: RE: Sadie Robertson's Medical Issues

Ms. Rebele, I just talked to Sadie and she is having severe side effects from the Coreg.  I told her you said it would take  few weeks to begin to work.  Then I looked it up and it said that Coreg should be INDIVIDUALIZED AND MONITORED.  Sadie said she is on 30 mg twice a day (I think I heard her right).  The recommended starting dose of COREG is 6.25 mg twice a day.  If this dose is tolerated using standing systolic pressure measured about 1 hour after dosing as a guide, the dose should be maintained for 7 to 14 days and then increased to 12.5mg twice daily if needed based on trough blood pressure, again using standing systolic pressure 1 hour after dosing as a guide for tolerance.  This dose should be maintained for 7 to 14 days and can then be adjusted to 25mg twice daily if tolerated.  This is really upsetting.  How can a NP prescribe cardiac medication without having a definitive diagnosis and my daughter never having seen a cardiologist and being unaware of the dosage requirements and the fact that it needs monitoring.  My daughter needs to see a cardiologist as soon as possible and you should not be prescribing cardiac medications when you are not a cardiologist.  I am not sure what you want Sadie to do now.  The complications are hypotension and not to stop the medication abruptly.
 
Ms. Carlin,
 
I am not allowed to give out the contact information for the doctors who make that decision.  With that in mind, I forwarded your emailed concerns and pretty much begged them to let you skip the line.  I have gotten an email back that they did go ahead and approve the consult, but the paperwork hasn’t processed down the system yet.  I will caution you, that it will still take some time to set up an appointment and get her to that appointment.  So although you can celebrate that we are moving forward, don’t think that she will be off to see the cardiologist on Friday or something.  I will also not be allowed for security reasons to tell you when that appointment is.  Off the top of my head, I don’t know what the backlog is for the cardiologist, but just like in the free world, cardiologists are busy and it takes a few weeks sometimes to get an appointment.
 
Hope you find this good news,
 
K. Rebele, HSA
Lowell CI
 
From: Kathleen Carlin [mailto:kjcarlin50@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 8:03 AM
To: Rebele, Katie <krebele@CenturionofFL.com>; julie.jones@fdc.myflorida.com
Cc: Hope.Gartman@fdc.myflorida.com; Brian.Riedl@fdc.myflorida.com
Subject: RE: Sadie Robertson's Medical Issues
 
Ms. Rebels,
 
Thank you for your quick response.  I will be talking to Sadie tonight and will let her know to do a medical.  With all due respect having an irregular heartbeat and a heart valve problem seems like plenty of grounds to see a cardiologists.  Who makes that decision because I want to advocate to that person for Sadie as her mother.  You must know heart problems are nothing to mess around with.  I am not going to feel comfortable until Sadie sees a cardiologist and gets a definitive diagnosis and I feel only a cardiologist can do that.  Her symptoms are debilitating and I have watched them get worse over the past year.  As I said Sadie is not a complainer but when she could no longer do aerobics and the episodes were happening more and more it started scaring her.  It would not only be wonderful if Sadie saw a cardiologist, it would be the right thing to do.  I know the decision is not up to you so I appreciate your patience with me.  I hope this gets resolved quickly.
 
Sincerely,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment